23 December 2012 | By: Unknown

To write or not to Write...



So, I’m procrastinating. It’s not that I don’t have anything to write or that I’m in a writer’s block because that’s not the case at all either.  I can’t put my foot on it, maybe it’s holiday exhaustion.  Whatever it is it’s interfering with my word count.

In lieu of writing since that apparently isn’t going to happen tonight I’ve written more outlines.  I am one of those writers that can’t write a single word until I have an outline.  It doesn’t even have to be a detailed outline.  A chapter title and a sentence about what I think is going to happen there is enough.  As long as I have an idea of where I’m supposed to be going I’m fine. 

Does it always work out that way?  Not at all.  You should see some of my outlines.  They’ve got things crossed out and sections rearranged and look a hot mess really.  But it is just a guide.  It’s not set in concrete. 

I have a few writer friends that panic when they fall off of the outline.  I find those are the best of times.  Yes, it may not be useful to the story or it may not be the original idea, but it provides me with an insight I didn’t have before writing it.  I don’t actually write my stories anyway, my characters do.  I am just the stenographer so to speak. ^_^

I think I’m going to step away for a few moments, grab some hot chocolate and then come back. I’ll hit my word count yet.  See you around.  Be safe. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment